Office of the Vice President
for Research and Economic Development
Dr. David Shaw
Vice President for Research and Economic Development
Mississippi State University is a leading research institution in our region and nationally. With the tri-part mission of the university embodied even in its seal-learning, research, and service-MSU is the flagship institution in Mississippi for research that falls within its land-grant mission. Known as "The People's University", MSU conducts fundamental to applied research, but always within the context of providing innovative solutions to pressing needs-state, regional, national, and global. In order to continue our exceptional growth, I offer the following:
- MSU must continue to enhance its reputation through a strengthened focus on the highest quality scholarly activities.
- High-caliber faculty are the essential element of an internationally recognized research university.
- Mississippi State University must continue to expand its role as the economic engine for the state of Mississippi and the Southeast.
- As a land-grant institution, MSU has a unique role in the State of Mississippi; it must fully recognize and embrace this role.
- MSU must work to better balance its portfolio, placing added focus on competitive funding.
- The university must embrace the parallel development of strong academic colleges and strong research centers.
- To achieve its potential, the university must place a priority on leadership development in its research program.
This is an exciting time in MSU's history. President Keenum is providing strategic leadership, and I am eager to work with the research team here at MSU, and with our partner agencies and corporations, to continue to grow our research and economic development efforts.